Favorite Things, Q1

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

I MISS BLOGGING! Phew, it feels good just to get that out. The thing is, life's been a tad crazy as of late, and I just haven't devoted any time to my blog. Even though this one is a bit late, I couldn't skip out on one of my my only regular feature.
While I can't say that I did much shopping in the few months following the Christmas season, I did manage to come across several things that are worth a mention.
Here goes, My Favorite Things of 2012, Q1,
  1. Milk Delivery... prior to October of last year, with Murphy Girl still drinking baby formula, I could pretty easily keep up with our family's milk needs with weekly trips to Costco for the 3, 1/2 gallon cartons of 1.5% organic milk. This is what Carter drinks and what I use for cooking. Well, when Murphy made the switch to whole milk at her first birthday, I found myself constantly running to the market. Because Costco doesn't sell the whole organic milk, I had to pick it up elsewhere and in smaller amounts. Not only did this become tedious, it was also quite expensive to keep both girls stocked with their own type of milk. When the Royal Crest delivery man showed up on my porch offering up a free sample,  he didn't have to twist my arm! I basically opened the front door with my credit card ready. Now every Monday morning, I open my front door to find a gallon of whole and gallon of 1% waiting in the cooler on the front porch. And, if I find that we are going through one or the other quicker during the week, I can just give them a call for an extra Thursday delivery. I can also add other products like eggs, yogurt, butter, even cookie dough to my weekly order. This thing has made my life so. much. easier. Royal Crest Milk Delivery
  2. Sperry Topsiders, Baby-Sized... being the second girl in our family, Murphy Girl's wardrobe consists almost solely of hand-me-downs. We were so blessed when Carter was our tiniest to be gifted beau-coups of darling girlie clothes, and most of them have easily transferred to Murphy.  Shoes, though, do tend to look worn out once they are actually used for running and walking. That coupled with Murphy being off-season from where Carter was at the same size meant she was in need of some new kicks early this year. We still had some Christmas money in the Murphy fund from Pops and Misha, so we headed to Nordstom to take a look at our options. There were some cute mary janes, some Tom's that were a bit too wide, and a few basic sneakers. However, when I spotted these in all their metallic pink adorableness, I knew my little one needed them! Murphy gets compliments on these all the time, and I love them because they look just as cute with leggings as with a fun sun dress. Metallic Pink Sperry Topsiders, Baby-Sized
  3. Dustbuster... I know; the vast majority of homes have Dustbusters (or similar handheld vacuums) as a staple of the cleaning arsenal.  I, too, have owned several over the years. For one reason or another, though, I hadn't had one in well over a year. Then, when we paid a visit to our cousins in Pittsburgh and saw theirs in action, I remembered just how handy these guys are. So, just a couple days after we got home, I grabbed a Bed, Bath, and Beyond coupon and went on a quick mission. There were only a few to choose from, but I do think I got a great one. I love how the nozzle pivots, makes cleaning all the car seat yuckies so easy. I also use it for getting crumbs off the high chair tray and even the stove top. This is really a product that I've used almost daily since its purchase. Again, not a novel idea, but a thing that has sure made my life easier! Dustbuster
  4. Ugg Snow Boots... despite living in Denver for five winters now, I did not own a pair of snow boots. (Yes, I do realize we get snow up to eight months of each year.) I have two two pair of rain boots, leather boots in brown and black, and even cowgirl boots, but when it comes to actual snow boots, I just hadn't really thought I needed them. Now that Carter is older, we spend much more time actually in the snow... sledding, playing, tubing, etc... and none of my other boots were doing the job of keeping my feet dry and warm. Since I had a credit for use at a large department store that doesn't have an actual location here in Denver, I went cyber shopping and found the perfect stylish (mine are a light blue, which doesn't seem to be available anymore) and functional snow boot. While I've never had a pair of Uggs before, I've certainly discovered why so many people love their cozy sheepskin lining. Now, I just need to get a winter coat... Ugg Snow Boots
  5. Words with Friends... if you're a regular reader of my Favorite Things blogs, you may notice a trend in that I tend to get on the bandwagon of popular items at least a year after everyone else. Such is true with Words with Friends, the popular Scrabble-esque app. I love word games, love games in general, really, so it was only natural that I would be hooked on this from the get-go. I started playing in late January, which was perfect timing as my husband began traveling for work for several days each week in early February. I love getting into bed each night and catching up on my games, and it's a perfect waiting room time-killer. I have a couple competitors who are just. too. good. but I love the challenge! It's also fun learning new words and trying different strategies. Words with Friends
  6. Honest Kids Juice Pouches... despite not being the greatest role model when it comes to eating a healthy diet, I really do try to provide my girls with an array of healthy and yummy food choices. I make an effort to comprise their plates of colorful fruits and vegetables and to limit treats for times when an actual treat is deserved. I'm not always great at this in all areas, but when it comes to beverage choices, I pretty much stick to my guns. Occasionally, I'll let Carter get a 'treat drink' like a Shirley Temple if we're at a restaurant, but overall, their sippy cups contain only milk or water. Because Carter's lunchbox can't be refrigerated at school, I was hesitant to put milk in there, even the milk boxes that are ok to leave out. (Would you want to drink lukewarm milk?) Juiceboxes didn't really seem like an option to me because of all the sugar (or even high fructose corn syrup) as well as the fake coloring. (I figure she gets enough of those items from her gummy bears!) I picked up a box of these Carpi-Sun-like pouches, and they have been a huge school-day hit. They come in five tasty varieties that are low in sugar, free of anything fake, and full of organic fruit juice. Honest Kids Juice Pouches
  7. MAC Lip Gloss, Russian Red... over the years, I've read in countless women's magazines that any woman can wear the right shade of red lip stick. I always felt sure that any woman did not include this woman.  I just couldn't imagine that my fair complexion and subtle make-up application could pull off such a bold lip color. When I hit up our local MAC store, armed with my six used items to trade in a for one free item, I assumed I would pick up one of my usual faves or maybe a new eye color. So, when I walked out with a brand new tube of BRIGHT RED lip gloss, my choice had even shocked myself. Now, I don't carry this gloss in my purse or wear it every day, but the times I have pulled it out (usually for a date night) I have been pleasantly surprised to learn that even I can wear red! Mac Russian Red Lip Gloss
That completes my first list of 2012 of all the things that served to make life easier, cleaner, cuter, and more fun this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan