Movin' On

Saturday, August 4, 2012

This is August? Really?!?!? That can't possibly be right! We are over half of the way through 2012; I'm two-thirds of the way through pregnancy number three; Murphy Girl is two months away from turning two; and it's been over a month since my last entry? 2012 has been a whirlwind to say the least. So, despite the fact that I have attempted several incomplete blog drafts over the past six weeks, I'm just going to scratch them all and create a summary of life with the Lewellens in these Salad Days.
Back in the spring, we began toying with the idea of moving our family to Charlotte, North Carolina: the city where my husband and I met and began the little romance that would blossom into a family and a life. Once the idea-toying became a full fledged this-is-really-gonna-happen planning, life got a little nutty. Between swim lessons and gymnastics classes and wrapping up the school year and growing a baby and just keeping up with life, I went into overdrive finding a school for the girls and an OB for me (the idea of having a third c-section with an unfamiliar doctor still scares me!) And then, came the itty bitty project of finding a home in which we could become settled in time for the girls to start school in the fall and so all of us to get somewhat comfy before the baby arrives.
After months of online searching and a weekend visit to Charlotte for a jam-packed weekend of house searching with our realtor did not yield a house that we loved, we began to consider renting for a year or so. At first the idea of renting (which we'd just done for five years in Denver), was not at all appealing to either Lindsay or me. After some evaluating, though, we decided it was actually a great idea and would relieve us from the pressure of making such a big purchase on a limited time period. In mid-June, we found the perfect rental house, and what I'd thought had been a crazy month of planning turned out to be easy compared to the month that would proceed the big move. We began pricing and arranging movers, making plans for the doggies,  and working through the logistics of the actual move. Spreadsheets were created, phone calls for connects and disconnects were made, and boxes were packed. And packed. And packed. Our move date was set for July 19, and this little idea began to feel very, very real.
On the weekend prior to our move, our dear friends, Nick and Wendy, hosted the most wonderful going away party for us. The party was a perfect break from all the packing and planning, and we were grateful that they created a place where we could say goodbye to those who'd helped to make our life complete during our years in Denver.
Nick and Wendy have such a talent for hosting;
the spread was a treat for the eyes and the taste buds!
No detail was overlooked... 
including Southern Sweet Tea.
The menu of the homemade salsas and sauces
that accompanied Lindsay's taco bar.
And, in my honor, a candy buffet 
with all of my favorite sweets.
(custom artwork by Nick)
Their backyard provided 
the perfect setting for a perfect evening.
I regret that we didn't get any pictures of all the people who made the farewell gathering so special, but needless to say, it was an evening that we'll cherish and fondly reminisce upon when thinking of our final Denver days. 
The four days following the party were full of final play dates, enjoying a few of our favorite Denver spots a final time, and generally staying out of the already packed house.  
On Monday, Murphy went to a playdate with her BFF, Edie, 
and Carter and I had a special big girls' morning at the pool.
Later that afternoon, we had a final playdate with Nick and Wendy's boys. 
This brought the first of many tears shed with each 'goodbye' over the next few days. 

Tuesday involved a playdate for Carter with Marin (Edie's big sis), a final Denver OB appointment (24 weeks) for me (yes, I cried there, too... I LOVED my doctor!) and one last trip to the pool which had been a staple of our Denver summer activities.
Wednesday began with a breakfast date with Ms. Amy and Nora who was Carter's first ever girlfriend. Lindsay and I knew from the moment we spotted sweet doe-eyed Nora Belle in the nursery at church that she and our Pookie were destined to be buds. I didn't get a picture of the event (and we missed Char Char!) but fun was had and tears, again, filled my eyes as the date ended. That afternoon, Tessa, who was our sitter for year following Murphy's birth, drove up from Colorado Springs for a final visit. 
I'll always remember Tessa's love for the girls
 and her determination (and eventual success) at getting my Murphy to take a bottle. 
Bright and early on the Thursday morning, the moving truck pulled up and the four movers came busting in like gangbusters. Fortunately I'd arranged for our sitter to keep the girls occupied elsewhere for the day, so Lindsay and I were able to finish up last minute packing as the fellas got us loaded up. The day was not stress free, but it did go fairly smoothly. (For the sake of honesty, I must interject that at around 1:30 PM, I got hit with a migraine that forced me to retreat to the darkness of an empty closet until the medicine could kick in. This, I would consider, a slight moving day glitch.) Just as the last items were being loaded into the truck, Aunt Kiki popped by for the send off. 

Just after 4:00 PM, we loaded up the car,
waved goodbye to 2670 South Pennsylvania Street,
and began the 1500 mile journey that would lead us home. 

It looks like my attempt at creating a 'summary of life' only leads us to our newest beginning. Please do try to contain your excitement as my next blog entry will provide what is sure to be an entertaining highlight reel of the Lewellen Family cross country road trip adventure! 

PS...AND, I'm only putting this in print in my own attempt at some accountability, but I'm setting a goal to write at least one blog every week ten days until the bambino arrives. Let's just say, I've been a touch hormonal lately, and I think the writing will help maintain my sanity (and that of my husband who has felt the wrath of actually using the word 'crazy' to describe his pregnant wife.)

1 comment:

  1. Miss you you guys already! But this is an amazing move for you all so it's a happy step too! So excited for you to get settled in your new state, new neighborhood, new school. So much closer to your sweet Mamma, and of course, no shortage of sweet tea!! We can't wait to visit in December! XO

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan