What's More Scary Than the Grinch?

Saturday, December 17, 2011

I wrote my last post was on the day after Thanksgiving, and now I'm staring at the final week before Christmas. I love this time of year, especially now that I have little ones, but it leaves far too little me time.  I've actually spent a great deal of time during the past week thinking fantasizing about blogging (kind of a sad confession.) Truth is, I find writing completely relaxing, and I develop a bit of mental angst and become ever-so-grumpy when I don't have time for it... especially if I have a blog in mind.
As magical as this time of year can be, each Christmas chore can almost be a full-time job in itself... take the presents, for example,

  1. Create recipient list verbally on I-Phone list (while an elf yells random things in the background adding 'names' to the list)
  2. Think of a perfect (or at least quite acceptable) gift  
  3. Drive to the appropriate store (while an elf or two play i-spy in the backseat; Little Elf's guess is always the same: 'That!')
  4. Purchase the gift (while Big Elf hides in a rack of clothes, and Little Elf remains super-glued to my hip)
  5. Wrap the gift (while Little Elf sleeps, and Big Elf swipes the wrapping supplies)
  6. Prepare the package for shipping (while the bubble wrap mysteriously disappears) 
  7. Drive to shipping location (while Big Elf tries to teach Little Elf to sing Dreidel)
  8. Ship the gift (while the other customers give me and both of my elves the stink-eye)
  9. Repeat times 25...
Keep in mind that gift giving is just one tiny part of this Elf Mommy's holiday duties that must be interwoven with card mailing, hall decking, shelf-elf moving, Santa shopping, and cookie making. It's easy to see why this season would not allot a great deal of time for blogging. So, consider this a mini-blog, a letter, actually...

Dear ABC Family Network,
If you are going to advertise your December programming as The 25 Days of Christmas and present it as being family-friendly viewing, I would greatly appreciate you showing your anit-METH ads during another time slot. Even when zooming through the commercials while watching The Grinch on our DVR list, this face still managed to terrify my child:


While my friends' children are a bit scared of the character of the Grinch, my impressionable little one is now frightened that she may find herself trapped in a random bathroom stall pulling out her own hair.
I get it: meth is no good. It's awful actually; ruins families; ruins lives; ruins teeth. But, could you please be a little more conscious in your audience choice? While many people may be faced with the peer pressure to try meth, I am pretty sure my three year old isn't needing to learn your 'Not Even Once' message before heading to her preschool holiday party.
Thank you.
(and Merry Christmas)

2 comments:

  1. You are so right!!! Hard to relax when watching any Chanel but Sprout w/ the kids- finding myself having to fast forward through the ads even during programs like Charlie Brown Christmas & Wizard of Oz. Some are VERY grown up...sexy cleavage shots, drags queens, meth addicts, violent video games. I with there was a "no commercials" button I could press. I'd pay extra for it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps- I blame all typos on the iphone, and the fact that I'm typing this in bed, with one eye nuzzled into my pillow. PS- love your new blog design!!!

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan