Monday Musings

Monday, January 14, 2013

Baby Wright is two and a half months old and is consistently sleeping a minimum of 8 hours straight each night. (She actually pulled a crazy-long 12 hour shift one night!) This coupled with bright, sunny days (current day excluded), school being back in session, and an overall 'good' feeling has been just the combination to lead to this exuberant declaration... the fog is lifting! And, in honor of this significant milestone here in Newbornland, I've decided a little random, stream of consciousness blog is in order.
A new Disney princess, Princess Sophia, has come on the kid scene. We have the inaugural movie on our DVR list, and the girls have watched it several times since it premiered in early November. Like most kid shows, I tend let it fade into the background and generally tune it out as much as possible whenever it's on. Yesterday, though, I caught a scene in which Cinderella, the mentor princess, was giving Sophia a little advice on all things princess. She relayed to Sophia that she made a big mistake by not befriending her own step-sisters, suggesting that they could have been 'best friends' and 'forever sisters.'
If you need a little princess refresher, she was referring to the evil gals who taunted her mercilessly, forced her to perform manual labor, and tried to keep her from her prince charming!
As I heard her little spiel (in the form of a cheesy song), I was reminded of how ridiculously rose-colored we try to paint life for children these days. I see Cinderella's point and, of course, I encourage our girls to get along with everyone. But my word, Cinderella! have some respect for yourself! Those witches didn't deserve your friendship and certainly not your sisterhood!
In a society where bullying (sadly I've even seen it with preschoolers) seems to be evermore prominent, I'd prefer a princess with a message of self-worth and dignity. I also think that a little (soft) dose of reality can't hurt even at a young age. The earlier we can get our own little princess(es) to realize that not everybody is going to like her and not everybody is going to be nice to her and not everybody will want to be her friend, the better.
Last night Lindsay and I left all three girlies with our sitter for the first time went to see Silver Linings Playbook. The movie was fantastic (Lindsay placed it in the top two of all movies he's seen in the past couple years), and I'd highly recommend seeing it while it's still in theaters. I was a bit distracted during the film, though, as Lindsay and I had a continuing, whispered argument as to the hotness quotient of Jennifer Lawrence. In short: his tongue was basically wagging, and I just don't see it. We did not engage in a similar discuss surrounding Bradley Cooper's level of attractiveness (as if an argument could even be made...)
Hot.
Not. 
(My blog. My opinion.)
As for tangible signs that the fog actually IS lifting, last week I BOUGHT A BOOK, an actual book that has nothing to do with babies or breast-feeding or strong-willed children or site words. I plan to read this book (Atonement) in my free-time (not a typo) after all three girls are tucked-in in the evenings. I also threw my hat back into the Words With Friends ring. Not only do I have a little time to play, but I am also finally feeling like my brain may actually be able to function on a level beyond that of pure survival. 
Better skedaddle... the biggest sister's show is wrapping up; Murphy in the Middle is ready to get up from her nap; and Baby Girl is ready to eat again. The evening will consist of goulash and corn on the cob for Monday family dinner, and a Honey Boo Boo special after the girlies are in bed for the night. 
Ahhh, I'm rejoining the land of the living...

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan