The Birthday Boy

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Today is my hubby's birthday, and, since we are 1,500 miles apart, I have spent a lot of time thinking about him today.  I've pictured the day 32 years ago when my mother in law gave birth to her precious baby boy in Oklahoma. I am certain that she fell instantly and completely in love with him, and I am just as certain that God created him perfectly for me.

When my husband proposed to me, he said that he knew he wanted to marry me when he realized that his life was just better with me in it. The longer we've been married, the more I feel that same way. There are two activities in particular that are simply BETTER when we are together: eating and watching television. (What? Were you expecting things like community service and exercising? If so, clearly you have not met us in real life. But, I digress...)
Lindsay and I LOVE FOOD. We love thinking about food, talking about food, and, of course, eating food. He has given me a greater appreciation for the Mexican genre as a whole and queso specifically, and I have helped him to seek out new restaurants. When we lived in Dallas as newlyweds, we'd try a new Mexican restaurant every weekend in search of the perfect tortillas, fajitas, enchiladas, and, of course, queso. We have also embarked on similar quests for great pizza, burgers, steaks, cheese fries, and sushi.
With our bellies nice and full, the hubby and I love nothing more to relax and watch television together.  Just last week, I was watching Oprah interview David Arquette when I said to myself, "This is such an interesting interview. The only thing that would make it better is if Lindsay was here watching it with me." We tend to enjoy the same shows and often hit 'pause' so that we can provide our personal commentary. We anticipate new episodes of Mad Men as a small child awaits the arrival of Santa on Christmas Eve. We have been pleasantly surprised with the fresh judging panel on American Idol, agree that Modern Family is the funniest sitcom in ages, and admit that the new 90210 is our favorite guilty pleasure.
I've always said that my favorite thing about being married is always having someone on my team and knowing that he's 'got my back.' This has never been more true than since we've had children; if we're not a strong team, those two little rascals are likely to form an uprising and revolt in our own home. (On a side note, this whole prospect is what leads me to feel quite leery of ever adding another child to our family... do we really want to be outnumbered?!?!) Having our girls has also caused me to love and appreciate my hubby on a whole other level. Seeing him as a daddy produces an indescribable feeling of joy and even a bit of envy.

How fortunate my girls are to have a daddy who loves them 
so completely, so unconditionally, so perfectly. 

Though he denies it, my hubby wooed me on one of our earliest dates with his guitar skills... how handsome he looked strumming those strings! Nowadays he shares his talents with his new loves.


So, on this, my husband's 32nd birthday, 
I pay tribute to the man who makes me laugh, 
the man I rejoice with, 
the man who tells me I'm beautiful when I'm, literally, about to pop.

And, forgive me for stealing the words of an overplayed pop song, but as I think of continuation of this unknown adventure we call our life, I must request that he'll... 
Marry Me, Today and Every Day, Marry Me... 

2 comments:

  1. Aww...made me tearful!! I remember the day you and Lindsay met and after that 1st date you called me to say, you had met the man you were going to marry....I had no doubt you were right....When I visit, the one thing that truly strikes me it how you two have sooo much to talk about....Whether it's Lindsay's new deal, the children, world events or tv!! Just so much to say...
    I am better because he is in my life...I love you all....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet ode to your hubby and your life together! Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan